Devastated Mother Warns of the Dangers of Opioid Abuse


One heartbreaking story serves as a powerful warning to everyone about the devastating consequences of opioid abuse. Sherri Kent, a grieving mother, took to Facebook to share the tragic loss of her 22-year-old son, Michael, who overdosed on a prescription painkiller called fentanyl.

Fentanyl is an extremely potent drug, estimated to be 50 to 100 times stronger than morphine. In her heartfelt post, Sherri emphasized that her son was not an addict but had made a mistake that tragically cost him his life.


According to Sherri, the series of events began when Michael and his sister encountered an unknown man who offered them drugs while running errands. Despite his sister’s warnings, Michael met the man the following day and purchased the drugs. Tragically, he took the drugs inside a store’s bathroom and soon overdosed.

Sherri vividly recalls the horrifying moment when the ambulance arrived and found her son in cardiac arrest. Michael was rushed to the hospital but, unfortunately, could not be saved.

Sherri’s pain and loss are immeasurable. She revealed that the day of Michael’s passing was the worst day of her life. The rise in opioid-related deaths, fueled in part by the powerful drug fentanyl, is a concerning trend. Fentanyl is increasingly being used and is estimated to be 50 to 100 times more powerful than morphine.

In Canada, where Michael resided, fentanyl overdoses have been on the rise. This epidemic has prompted Sherri to share her story and the dangers of drug use. She wants to make everyone aware of the harsh reality that is claiming the lives of 5 to 7 people every day in every city in Canada.

Sherri’s Facebook post went viral, reaching thousands of people. The overwhelming response, condolences, and prayers she received provide some comfort in knowing that she has helped raise awareness and potentially prevent future overdoses.

The devastating loss Sherri and her family have endured is a reminder of the urgent need to address the opioid crisis. By sharing her son’s story, she hopes to protect other children from falling victim to this dangerous drug. Sherri was grateful for the hospital’s compassionate gesture of providing her a space on her son’s bed, where she could lay with him and express her pride.

We extend our deepest sympathy to Sherri and her family for their heartbreaking loss. We also commend her bravery and thank her for courageously sharing her son’s story, as it has the power to save lives by raising awareness about the dangers of opioid abuse.